Having lived in Germany for a while, I can safely say that there are many things that I love about living here.
From every day life to work life to social life, I have found many interesting aspects that have brought me enjoyment and satisfaction.
In fact there are so many things that I enjoy about life in Germany that I had to limit my list to ten!
So, here goes!
- German architecture. I love the older buildings, the farm buildings and the village´s architecture. I also really enjoy the modern architecture. The highly environmentally friendly houses. The houses that come almost ready made and are ready to live in, within 2 to 3 weeks!
- The woodlands. There are so many beautiful woods in Germany. The area where I live is surrounded by many wooded areas. I love the fresh air they produce, the beauty of the trees, their changes as the seasons change, and the many footpaths that are there for everyone to walk on and enjoy.
- The wild life. From my conservatory I look straight into the woods that are behind my home. There I see many Deer, they often visit my garden and eat the fallen apples from my apple tree! The Hedgehogs that ran around my garden from the woods and stop to look at me with their head sideways turned, before they run away back into the woods. The foxes. The incredible variety of birds. And finally but not least the wolves. Yes, there are wolves in the woods. But luckily not in the wood behind my house. How do I know that? Well, the Deer are still here!
- The weather. Believe it or not! The temperatures are not extreme at all. Having lived before in other lands where in winter it went to -27 and in another country where in the summer it went to 54, temperatures in Germany are enjoyable. I love it that I can go out at 10 o´clock at night in the summer and have my car windows open without feeling cold.
- The German language. Yes! you read it right. At first I thought I would never learn it, but then it was like I had fallen in love with this language. I couldn´t get enough of it. There are expressions in German that make me laugh, there is a word that literally translated means: “a face badly in need of a slap”! Or the composite words that make absolute logical sense when translated.
- German modern music. I have some favourite artists, and I really love their music. The sound of the words in the songs and the content in their songs with a depth that has been forgotten by other singers in other parts of the world. Whereas many modern music artists seem to be focusing on superficial things, my favourite German artists are singing about the things that bring me to reflection and the enjoyment of real life.
- Bicycles. Everybody has a bicycle and if you don´t have one because you are new here then a good hearted German person will help you find one! We all ride our bicycles as much as possible. I rarely see people walking around except in busy shopping areas in the city and even there, people ride their bicycles by. When given with a choice, we would all choose to ride our bikes to the shops, doctors and work. For fun, for pleasure and for work. No matter the age. From Children to the elderly, people enjoy their bicycles no matter what. I love seeing in the morning women that ride their bicycles to work in their high heels! Or on a rainy day how people ride their bicycles under an umbrella! Maybe that is why those of us that live in Germany are fitter and healthier than many.
- Roads, bicycle paths and agricultural roads. I love that the roads are slightly curved so that when it rains the water runs off the road easily. It makes them safer. I specially enjoy all the bicycle paths! There are paths for bicycles everywhere. And I like the agricultural roads, They are there to connect farms and fields with each other, they are supposed to be used by farmers and farm traffic…. supposed to… in reality many use them as a short cut to wherever they are trying to get to or just to enjoy the views.
- Breakfast. In Germany breakfast is a special event. I love how people here celebrate their birthdays or other special dates by starting their day surrounded by their friends and family, around the breakfast table. This is no ordinary breakfast but a really wonderful set up of a variety of foods and delicious breads, fruit, fish, you name it! Candles are lit and flowers decorate the table. People actually dress up for breakfast. It beats a bowl of cornflakes any day!
- Happy people. The majority of German people are happy, cheerful and friendly. They take time to talk with other people. They listen. They laugh and joke and smile, even early in the morning! I can´t remember seeing road rage here. They have their own way of passing by! and they don´t get worked up about it. I like that women here look like women even when they are wearing jeans and men look and behave like men. I have never heard of a German man being told to find his feminine side!
I have the feeling that 10 is not enough! I look forward to continuing to enjoy life in Germany. Why not visit Germany sometime?
All content and photos are the property of Beatriz Custodio & Mohammed Al Ali.
Copyright © 2018-2020 Beatriz Custodio & Mohammed Al Ali.